Assam University, Silchar held a meeting on 14th of July, 2020 regarding the emerging academic issues of developing forPG/UG under the University. Senior faculty members formed a committee to address the situation of admission, examination and some other issues regarding the matter. The committee has taken the following key discussions:
- The promotion of the students will be based on the marks of their internal assessment and past performances. This is applicable to the PG/UG students of Assam University and not the UG students who are affiliated to the University.
- The date for submission of the internal assessment scores has been extended upto 22nd July, 2020 for the even semesters.
- The assessment of the end semester examination for terminal semester PG/UG (Not for the affiliated colleges) will be based on assignments, projects and vivas.
- If a situation arises where a student won’t be able to sit for the semester examination, he/she shall be able to appear for special examination, conducted by the University in a favourable situation.
- The marks scored by the students in online examinations or by submission of assignments will not be re-evaluated. However, the student will be allowed to opt for a betterment examination as per the rules.
- Any student with backlogs in their final semester examination will be able to sit for the examination which will be conducted by submission of projects, assignments and viva voice, as mentioned in the point 3.
- For the students who are studying Business Administration, terminal examination will be tentatively between 18 July, 2020 to 27th July, 2020.
- The practical examinations will also be based on submission of projects, assignments and viva voice.
- For PhD admission for this session, the date for online admission has been extended for another week. Further notice will be issued soon.
- There is a possibility that the classes for the next semester will begin from 25th of July, 2020.
- The students are requested to keep devices and ensure a good internet connection to be able to attend the online classes as per the UGC guidelines.
- All of the departments of the University are ordered to conduct at least one webinar by the month of August, 2020.
- It is decided that BRS meetings are to be convened tentatively after 15th of August, 2020 in three phases: Social Science and Humanities, including Commerce and management courses in two phases and since in the other phase. All the HODs and Deans are requested to hold BPGS(if not held already) and school board meeting (online preferably), respectively. A tentative schedule will be notified soon for completing each meeting.
The issue ordered by the UGC, where it has made terminal examination compulsory for the universities across the nation has striken a sense of conflict amongst the students. Even though the UGC has published a detailed list of SOPs, the order is being thoroughly criticised by the students.